? nights Book

Hotel Map

Map of the hotel


The German tourism industry may lose 38 billion euros due to the epidemic and 4.6 million jobs will be lost

Date: 2020-09-02

The loss of international tourist consumption this year will have an impact on the German capital Berlin in the next few years.

Recently, the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) released the latest research. Studies have shown that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of international tourists and tourists traveling to Germany has been greatly reduced, resulting in a 82% reduction in international tourist expenditure. The lack of international travel has caused catastrophic losses to the German economy, equivalent to a daily loss of 104.1 million The euro is 729 million euros a week, and the German economy alone loses more than 38 billion euros.

4.6 million jobs are at risk of loss

In the same week, as the summer travel season is coming to an end, Germany announced a 14-day quarantine measure for travelers from high-risk countries to replace its existing measures. WTTC and its members called on Angela Merkel and other leaders of the Group of Seven (G7) countries to urge a coordinated approach to promote post-crisis recovery.

WTTC exposed the severe impact of the epidemic on the German tourism industry, as the spread of the coronavirus is affecting the national economy. In the “worst case” described by the WTTC economic model, nearly 4.6 million jobs supported by the tourism industry in Germany are at risk of loss.

According to WTTC's 2020 Economic Impact Report, the tourism industry created 5.7 million jobs in Germany in 2019, accounting for 12.5% of the total German labor force. It also created a GDP of 310.9 billion euros, accounting for 9% of the German economy.

Germany is highly dependent on international tourists

WTTC's analysis of Germany's international travel expenditure in 2019 shows that the figure reached 47 billion euros, accounting for 14% of Germany's total tourism expenditure, and domestic travel expenditure accounted for 86% of the other. A further breakdown shows that the promotion of the German economy by international travelers in 2019 amounted to 3.9 billion euros per month.

Between 2016 and 2018, the largest source markets for inbound tourists to Germany were tourists from the Netherlands and Switzerland, accounting for 12% and 9% of all international inbound tourists, respectively. The United States and the United Kingdom both ranked third, accounting for 7%, Austria ranks fourth with 5%.

Compared with Germany as a whole, the latest data in 2018 show that Berlin is highly dependent on international tourist spending. It accounts for 44% of all tourism expenditures in the city and domestic tourists account for the remaining 56%. The United Kingdom is the city’s most important source market, with 11% of inbound tourists, the United States in second with 8%, Spain in third with 6%, and Italy in fourth with 6%. It can be seen that the loss of international tourist consumption this year will have a profound long-term impact on the German capital in the next few years.

According to the WTTC's 2020 Economic Impact Report, the tourism industry created one-tenth of the world's jobs (330 million in total) in 2019, accounting for 10.3% of global GDP, including one-quarter of new jobs.

Resuming international travel is imminent

Gloria Guevara, President and CEO of WTTC, said: "It is clear from our latest data that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused economic pain to millions of families who depend on tourism for their livelihoods. It will take many years to fully recover from the misery and suffering, and it may even threaten Berlin’s status as one of the main hubs for global business and leisure travel.

Guevara said: "The re-launch of transatlantic international travel coordination will provide vital assistance to the tourism industry. It will also benefit airlines, hotels, and travel agencies, as well as the supply chain that relies on international travel across the Atlantic. Millions of jobs are rejuvenated."

In addition, targeted testing and tracking will also rebuild consumer confidence in travel. For example, the restoration of important “air corridors” (aviation) between countries and regions with a similar number of COVID-19 cases, and the development of rapid turnaround testing and tracking systems for all departing passengers. This means that the government can consider restoring Germany and Germany. Travel between major international hubs, this move will also help initiate global economic recovery. "